Friday, January 19, 2007

Back to School

Wednesday was my first day of classes; today is my second. It's always exciting to start a new semester, meet new students, etc. Ahhhh, the feeling you get from a fresh new notebook...

My keywords for the semester are "initiative" and "academic curiosity." My students are probably already tired of hearing them, but I really try to emphasize the importance of being engaged in your own life. This class can't just happen to a student; he or she must actively participate. The rest of us are there to help.

I use many training metaphors for developing good research and writing processes. I am very frequently in the role of coach as a writing instructor. Just as Grandison, Ed, Som, Mark, and Blake can't put my miles in for me, I can't do the research and writing for my students. I am there, however, to help them plan, to suggest potential resources, and to offer extra help in areas of weakness. I am excited by their progress and I learn something new from them every day.

My school schedule is fortunately not interfering with my workout schedule so far, and I even found a time slot to swim before classes on Wednesdays. Kate T and I tried it out this week, and I think I can keep it up...

I'm also looking forward to meeting my TRIgirl "Little Sister" Michelle. The addition of a mentorship program to TRIgirl this year just makes the organization better and better. Sharing tri experience, excitement, and resources--how rewarding!

2 comments:

TriGirl 40 said...

Wish I had a teacher like you in college! You are a great inspiration to your students - as you will be to your new little sis!

Anonymous said...

Slacker-

It's time for a new blog post. Please note the difference in tone between my post and DB's post. She is much nicer than me.

SQ - not Jack