Tuesday, August 08, 2006

tuesday morning hills

That has become a regular post on our training forum. Three of our workouts (one run, one bike, one swim) we do together, with a coach. The other posted workouts most of try to fit in during the week with a sort of buddy system. Back in April, I got together with a couple of the girls for a run on Tuesday morning, and the meeting time and place have become a bit of an institution. Of course, last week, when attendance was at an all-time high, I slept in.

I have missed only four scheduled workouts this year--some say that's obsessive, others call it over-achieving. I find that it keeps me grounded. I'm not likely to make up a missed run by doing it myself in the hundred-degree damp of a Richmond summer.

This morning Kate, Anna, Sandee, and I met at the vita course promptly at 6:03 or 6:04. When my alarm was going off around 5:30, I could hear the day's forecast. Current temperature seventy-nine degrees. Before we even got off the trail and across the road to that special place we do hill repeats, drops of sweat were stinging the corners of my eyes.

I felt better about halfway through the workout. It takes me forever to get my rhythm some days, and especially in the heat. That's why I prefer a marathon over a 5K, and perhaps why I'm eagerly anticipating Naylor's Beach on August 27--my first Olympic distance tri.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your special place :)