Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Other Season

I've written quite a bit about my training during the tri season, and I've posted about the off season, as well. Much of my thinking right now doesn't have a whole lot to do with triathlon, though. So, this post is a bookmark for myself. Forgive the self-indulgence.

Tis the season. The holiday season. A time to spend with family and friends, perhaps relax (or get stressed out,) and, of course, reflect on the ending year and the beginning one.

This year, for the first time in a long while, my brother and sister-in-law hauled their three kids back to Virginia to spend Christmas with our side of the family. That has been the best part of the season.

Anticipation. I had a tough time wrapping up my school semester and prepping for the holidays. I was finishing up my school responsibilities just as the restaurant was full swing in the busiest month of the year, so I was really pulled in a lot of different directions. Two major events took place over the Christmas weekend, too, that have put me back into an introspective mood and in a place for reassessment of my life.

Fortune. I am so fortunate to have the family and friends that I do. I can't imagine where I would be today without them. I'm also fortunate to have my health, and of course to have a home, a job, a car, more than enough food, etc.

Sometimes I put all of this to the test.

I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions because they are often pithy and almost always soon forgotten. Changes need to be made daily and usually in small starts. I'll use a training metaphor...

Of course I couldn't complete the Ironman tomorrow. But I will in November 2007. Each week I will do something to increase my strength and endurance.

In my life I will make the same plans, avoiding the use of "always" or "never" or "diet."

However, I have an outline of areas of my life that are important and will be included in my weekly plans. I'm trying to be more aware of my relationships with the aforementioned, primarily family and friends, but also with my own body, my spirituality, and, again, even my job. Sometimes I take these all for granted.

If I want to maintain positive relationships with all of these people and things, I need to put in the time and effort necessary and be thankful for them every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your metaphor for New Year's Resolutions, Carm. And what I like to do is instead of come up with a resolution, I find one word. A word that can encompass everything in my life. It can change the way I live. Change how I feel. Change my attitude. Thoughout the year, I keep this word in my mind and in my journal. Kind of a theme. 2005: PLAY
2006: PEACE
2007: ACCEPT

What is your word?????