Monday, December 04, 2006

End of Season/Semester Blues


I have read much about the experience of triathletes going into the taper before a big race and not knowing quite what to do with themselves.

I have this feeling of extra time and a bit of awkward uselessness at the end of each school semester.

I guess right now these two are kind of coinciding. Although, as I pointed out to myself this morning, my "off season" does include ten workouts a week right now.

This is the last week of classes at both UR and VCU. I really did overextend myself this semester with the four classes, four to five shifts at the restaurant, and eight to ten workouts with the TRIgirls EVERY WEEK. So, right now, I'm having that last-week-of-school panic. And while I know that everything will get done, I'm already worrying about the next thing. How much am I going to have to work at the restaurant over break? How much time am I going to need to devote to my three classes next semester? When can I get the new textbook I'll be using for English 111? Will I need to extend my work schedule in January and February to make up for teaching one class fewer?

And I guess the answer to all of these questions comes down to balance. That, and the fact that our inboxes are rarely empty, nor do they necessarily need to be. Part of the end-of-semester panic comes with the WhatAmIGoingToDoNow feeling of too much time on my hands when that inbox really is empty. For the first time since August.

That last race of the season? Skipped it.

This week I start my indoor cycling for the off season. Weekends are filled with holiday parties and get-togethers with out-of-town friends and family.

Goals for December:
1. Maintain weight.
2. Get into off-season training routine.
3. Relax my mind.

The hectic schedule will begin again all too soon.

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

Great December goals.

And I have over 1800 messages in my work inbox, on a good day, so you are not alone.