Sunday, September 10, 2006

Taking Care of Me

No, not taking care of myself! You can read about that in any women's magazine. Sometimes I appreciate others taking care of me. Yesterday, SanDee picked me up at 6:30 for our bike ride. I finally put my front wheel back on my bike--I actually touched my bike--for the first time since Naylor's Beach. I do believe in magic, as well as the power of ignoring things until they go away. Unfortunately, when we got to West Creek, my bike had not fixed itself, nor was I any closer to fixing it. The brake was still rubbing the front wheel, just as it had been throughout my entire race two weeks ago.
SanDee took me back to her house, via Starbucks, and her husband Gregg worked the magic. Not only is he a tennis pro, but he also finished his first tri this summer, and he is spectacular with the bike--as both rider and mechanic.
After my bike was back in shape, SanDee loaded both it and me back in the car, and took us back to West Creek. Although SanDee had already ridden one loop earlier, she rode two more with me. I never thought a bike ride could feel so smooth. After doing 40-milers and riding 26 on the brake, 16 miles with no brake felt like I was flying.
We dropped by our homes to grab bathing suits and non trigirl clothes, and headed over to Westwood to watch Gregg show some tennis skills.
Back at SanDee's, she made me a sandwich, served it up with some chips (our shared weakness) and watermelon, and we spent the rest of the afternoon lounging by the pool. Did I mention that she even cut my sandwich in half? A few other trigirls joined us. Gregg kept us hydrated and in cookies, and SanDee made sure each guest had beer when needed.
I'm so fortunate to be part of this family!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carmen, Your blog is so much more entertaining when SanDee and I are mentioned frequently.

Is it an oversight that Tri-Boi/Bobby is not mentioned?

My only problem is that SanDee does not speak to me much anymore...she just refers me to your blog when I ask her about her day............