Saturday, September 30, 2006

Maymont Race Report, or My Favorite Race Ever!

What a fabulous run!

Someone asked me recently what my favorite race was. Actually, it was TRIgirl Sharon. We had a lot to talk about over the course of eighteen miles last Sunday. Hmmm, I thought. That's kind of like asking me about my favorite food, color, or anything else. I might prefer one color for the outside of my house, but quite another for a new shirt or a fall sunrise. Or for my favorite food, for that matter.

So, first my favorite race was the James River Scramble--an off-road 10K. Then I thought, well, maybe it's the Richmond Marathon, America's Friendliest, and my first. The Monument Avenue 10K is not my favorite race to run (too crowded and flat,) but it was my first race ever. The Sandman, because it's challenging and exhilarating. Then I remembered the Maymont XCountry Festival Half Marathon. Loved that. My list started and ended with a trail run.

I ran the Maymont Half in 2004, its inaugural year. Completely different from the Rock-N-Roll Half, which had been my first half ever less than a month before. RnR was crowded, Maymont was lonely. RnR was riotous, Maymont was serene. RnR was flat, Maymont was hilly. And off-road. I loved it, and I was faster.

I missed the Maymont Half last year because it was inconveniently scheduled for the same weekend as Sandman. Don't think I didn't consider running it on Saturday, then heading down to the beach for the tri the next day. And if you do think it, don't tell Grandison!

So, this year, I was super-glad to see that the Maymont Half was a couple of weeks later, and it fit in perfectly with our maraathon training schedule. I'd had my eye on it for a while, but was reluctant to register. The girls have been giving me a hard time about my over-enthusiasm, aka signing up for every race. Funny how, within a week after I posted about it, seven other TRIgirls joined me. Sometime I'll write a little something about peer pressure.

The Course
The Maymont Half takes place just outside Maymont Park on the James River. The course actually crosses the river four times, or as Sharon put it, "a lot." We spent a little time on the Buttermilk Trail, ran around Belle Isle, finished at Maymont. We even started with a lap around the vita course in Byrd Park, the TRIgirls' Thursday morning hangout. (I mean BEFORE Starbucks.) Perfect.

The Weather
The last day of September in Richmond. While I briefly missed having a transition area in which to leave my super-cute hoodie, I braved the early morning chill in my TRIgirl tank. The temperature started out around fifty degrees and got up to about sixty. Sllight breeze, humidity not bad, even for Richmond. Perfect.

The Outfits
With TRIgirls sporting pink, we got more than one (actually, more than twenty) comments on the course. I think there were about twenty people out on the course watching. So, if you think the jersey looks good by itself, check it out in a pack.

The Company
I ran the entire race with TRIgirls. Okay, except I didn't talk to anyone for the last mile. Working too hard. I generally enjoy running at least part of my long races alone because after a week filled with students and restaurant clientele, I need a little Carmen time. But today, I enjoyed the company the first part of the race, and I used the energy and the push for the rest of it. Lynn, Sharon , and Kate O were my buddies for the first three miles or so, which are very tough for me. I have a really hard time warming up, especially when I literally have to warm up. I ran the bulk of the miles with Susie, Anna, and Kate T. Anna kept us abreast of all things mathematical with one of those things, you know, on your wrist, that tells everything but the time. Well, I think hers even tells the time. I'm terrible at pacing myself, so it was great to have someone (the voice of reason?) saying, "8:30--Slow Down!" and it was even better to actually slow down. I told them at about mile 9 that I was on track for my PR, and they all kept me on the pace the rest of the way.

The Times
I had a PR of 2:08:06. My previous Half PR was at this race in 2004, 2:11:20. Did I mention I love this race?! Four other TRIgirls had PRs today, and Grandison finished second in her age group, which is also my age group. I was 23 out of 49, and top half always makes me happy! Our amazing swim coach Som finished first in his age group.

The TRIgirl Post Party and Aftermath
Starbucks, of course. I couldn't risk going anywhere bloody marys were served because then I wouldn't have accomplished ANYTHING this afternoon. Since I forewent the alcohol, I managed to accomplish a three-hour nap. Hmmm. Now I have forty-five minutes before I meet the girls out for TRIgirls Gone Not So Wild, then tomorrow we ride bikes, have coffee, and swim, and then Monday morning is strength training, and so it goes. The life of a TRIgirl...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i get a kick out of calling grandy 'grandyson.'