Monday, September 04, 2006

Rock-N-Roll Half Marathon Weekend Update


Here it is, Labor Day, and I am sitting at school in between classes. I had forgotten since my stint here as an undergrad, but the folks in charge of holidays never sent the memo to the University of Richmond. So, instead of lollygagging in Virginia Beach for another day, my sister and I cruised down 64 West this morning. Trip highlight: gas at Wawa for $2.32 a gallon!

Yesterday's Half seems like ages ago, until I stand up or sit down. Then my quads remind me. With such a flat course, I'm surprised that's where I'm feeling it.

This was my third annual Virginia beach Rock-N-Roll Half. I ran in 2004 (first half ever) with my friend Mary Catherine. Last year, I convinced my mom, dad, brother, and sister to join me, and we have now started a family vacation tradition. This year, in addition to my family, the TRIgirls were representing! Post-race, we met at T, of course. Grandison, Lynn, Deanna, Teresa, Monica, Anna, Kate, and I posed for pictures, but Shannon had already hit the beach with a beer.

I guess this isn't a very complete race report, since I have yet to look up my time! We weren't really sure what to expect for race conditions, since Hurricane Ernesto blew through on Friday, and some of weren't even sure we would make it to the beach. Sunday turned out to be beautiful, however, although halfway through the race the temperature felt more appropriate for hanging out at the beach than for running next to it!

I had a great first 10K--ran that in a "negative split," and was feeling better with each mile. Just after Mile 8, I was looking forward to my GU, tucked into the back of my TRIgirl top, as I'd heard a nasty rumor that the race was not providing gels as they have in the past. I had the GU in my hand, ready for the next water stop... waiting... got to Mile 9, and officially started my attitude problem. Although I'd hydrated well that morning and the day before, I was THIRSTY, and decided to walk to the next water stop, which finally appeared after Mile 10. Wow. I remember remembering that the same sort of thing happened last year--the Mystery of the Missing Water Stop, so post-race I encouraged runners I know to contact the powers that be with a request for more stops in the future. This is a race that I really enjoy, and it's a shame that only eight stops were provided over 13 miles, especially with the growing number of participants who take a longer time to finish. After all this is late summer in Virginia!

I ran by myself the whole time, which I frequently really enjoy. I'm a very social being, so every now and then, I think I need the solitude one can only find among 20,000 others! Dad and Dyron passed me on my mile-plus walk, and Lynn's husband Derik gave me a shout-out, and other than that, I had to get to that T for familiar faces.

After participating in so many triathlons the past two seasons, it's somewhat refreshing to run a race. I keep thinking I must be forgetting something. All I have to do is show up at the starting line! Nothing to carry, nothing to set up--it's a light, strange feeling.

No comments: