Monday, November 13, 2006

Richmond Marathon--Race Report


Holy guacamole! What a terribly hot day! I guess the headline news for the Richmond Marathon this year was the temperature. While many of the spectators commented on how spectacular the weather was for watching the race, it was not so comfortable out there on the course. And, yes, a few cheerleaders did complain about how hot they were out there watching. I ignored them so that we might remain friends...

The Race
I started in wave three (of four) accompanied by Lynn and Kate O. I intended to run with the 4:30 pace group, but somehow lost them right at the start line. TRIgirls make great company, anyway. I was already sweaty by mile 2, where the first water stop was. I took a cup of water and one of Powerade. Repeated at the second stop at mile 4, where the highlight was some very special cheerleading. Grandison's husband Mark was out with Matthew and Lily, and I just might have to give Matthew the Cheerleader of the Race award--clapping and jumping up and down--we'll have to get a read on this kid's vertical. Grandison attributes much of his enthusiasm to the fact that he has now completed two races himself. Runners make for great support. I remembered this at OBX the next day...

We had to get Twila's attention as we ran through her hood down on Riverside... right about mile 8 is also where we caught Kate T and Anna. Goota love the five-TRIgirl posse cruising through Southside. We make a great photo op!

At this point I was getting two waters and two Powerades at each water stop. The temperature was rising, and Kate O was in charge of shade direction. I ran ahead of the girls from the stop at mile 12, I think. Was looking for some pink around the halfway mark, but I ended up with some more tangible aid. First, a woman handed me a bottle of water, which I finished over the course of about a hundred yards. Then... Part of the reason I was searching for a teammate was to get a call made ahead for some additional course support. Although I had liberally Body-Glided (new official verb) before the race, I sensed chafing. Then, a miracle occurred. As I ran past the Forest Hill fire station, there sat a guy (firefighter?) holding out a handful of bandaids and little tubes of vaseline. Well, kids, the back pockets of a TRIgirl jersey hold more than just chicken legs and Snickers bars! I don't want to think about the alternate ending to my race without that little tube.

Carrie and Mary (former TRIgirls) were on bike patrol throughout these miles, so it was nice to see them a couple of times in the middle of the race. Jonah caught me on her bike at about mile 15 and rode me across the Lee Bridge. It was perfect timing because not only was that sixteenth mile tough, but the sun was really beating down on the bridge, and at about 11:00 the temperature was well into the mid-seventies. I don't remember what we talked about, but I was thankful to listen to her!

I bypassed the junk food stops (as usual.) Grandison and SanDee are new converts to the gummi principle, but I still have an aversion to chewing while running. I had actually acquired some shot blocks at the expo, but went with the Nothing New On Race Day mantra and left them at home. No Coke or beer for this TRIgirl on course, either.

Mile 17 brought a cold wet towel, a quick pit stop, and another mystery woman with a bonus bottle of water. The long trek up the Boulevard hill brought a Party Stop featuring Ashley, Lauren, and Kay--some more cheerleader awards need to be presented here. Ashley had broken 40 on the 8K, and Lauren had also run--her first race ever!

Just before Mile 20, I was starting to feel a little dizzy and nauseous. I had chill bumps on my arms and legs, usually a sign of dehydration. I powered up the rest of the hill, telling myself at Mile 20 I would eat a third GU, drink some more fluids, and allow myself to walk. So, walking I was, when I passed the TRIgirl party stop. I princess-waved at Beebie, SanDee, Teresa, Mooly, Derik, and the rest of the support squad. Really, I wasn't feeling so hot, so it was hard to focus on the group. I was devoting more energy to not throwing up. But as I learned from Naylor's Beach, even if you don't feel good, make sure you look good!

The next three miles were rough. I walked most of them. Highlight was seeing Cyndi and the kids for the THIRD time--what great support!

Mile 23 brough a sweet, sweet ray of sunshine. There in her miniskirt was Susie Q. She was accompanied by LB3, but more importantly, she was equipped with GU and Gatorade. I actually stood there and talked to them for about a minute, which really shows how delirious I must have been. I GUed up and took off with my bottle of Purple Rain. Ahhh! I could feel it going through my body.

Felt lilke walking some more, but was encouraged by three women who were running. They decided to walk for a minute at 24, but by then I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. Two more miles! They went by faster than I thought they would.

Saw Grandison cheering in the final yards, and I had a strong finish. That's my other every-race goal! I got a bottle of water, joined Grandison, and cheered in the rest of the TRIgirls... what a great celebration! Congratulations especially to first-timers Sharon, Kate, and Kate. More cheers for Mary, Anna, and Lynn on their PRs. G--a special race for you!

Nutrition/Hydration
Prerace: 24 oz. water, 24 oz. coffee, almond butter and banana sandwich.
Race:
One Dixie cup of water and one Dixie cup of Powerade at Miles 2, 4, and 6. Two cups of water and two of Powerade at Miles 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, and 24.
Bonus 16 oz. bottle of water at Mile 13.
Bonus 20 oz. botle of water at Mile 17.
Special TRIgirl bottle of Gatorade "brought to you by Susie Q" at Mile 23.
One GU each at Miles 8, 14, 20, and 23.
Postrace: two 16 oz. bottles of water, one bottle of Powerade, one million slices of pizza.

Race Goals and Statistics
My original goal was to finish in 4:30. I amended that to a new PR (under 4:37:13). Then i changed THAT to under 4:45. I didn't quite make that one, either...

26.2 finish--4:45:57
20 mile--3:36:27
13.1--2:21:27

I finished 110 out of 200 in my age group.
588 out of 1112 women.
1866 out of 2917 finishers.

Stat of the Day
I passed 21 people in the final two-tenths of a mile!

Marathon Motto
Look good even if you don't feel good. Finish strong.

1 comment:

TriGirl 40 said...

To the TriGirl previously known as Carmen - congrats on a great race - you looked strong and stylish when passing mile 20 - and it sounds like you continued to have a great race - especially given the warm temperatures. Thanks for cheering the OBX racers on - though wish I could have been a part of your post race celebration.