Wednesday, July 25, 2007

NO SELF-DEPRECATING REMARKS


As many of you know, one of my favorite sayings is, "Not with that attitude, you can't." Truth be told, I ripped it off of my brother. He doesn't mind a little plagiarism.


One of my other favorites, and I made this one up myself (very creative, I know,) is, "No self-deprecating remarks." This is actually a rule that I have had in many of my classrooms. "Ms. Hamlin, I'm not a good writer." "I know it's boring, but.."


I find that I "get" to use these sayings frequently with my training partners. I laughed out loud as I read Diane's blog account of Deanna L's self-deprecating, "I'm slow" comments as she continued to extend the length of her ride (at a not-too-shabby 17.2 mph no less!)


Then I laughed out loud again when I got to the next section, where Diane logged her swim workout, needing to "build confidence" that she could actually swim .9 miles in a race, while she completed a 1000m workout at less than 1:05/100m!!! Sounds strong to me...
The diverse group of women with whom I train is filled with people who don't have the attitude that they can't. TRIgirls rock, and I've seen the posters to prove it. They just need to drop the self-deprecating remarks, as well.
Especially if they're faster than me!

4 comments:

Diane said...

Glad to be an inspiration! ; )

TriGirl 40 said...

Words to live by! Wish I had more college professors like you way back when...

Anonymous said...

Excellent post, Carm!
Miss ya....looking forward to the end of summer classes next week.....

SQ

Jonah Holland said...

Yep....especially if they are faster than you!!! You are too funny. It's a deal!