Saturday, June 09, 2007

Volunteering at the Powersprint Tri

Last Sunday, I volunteered for the first time ever in an official capacity at a race. I figure that since I've completed nine triathlons now, I was behind schedule in giving back to the sport. Despite the hurricane conditions, it was a fantastic experience. Many of the girls I've trained with for the past year or two participated, including my sister. We also had a record number of TRIgirls completing their first triathlon, which was exciting for our group and intimidating?! for the other racers. Aha...

After body marking with Jonah and Susie--and of course we had to add some inspirational messages along with the requisite race numbers and ages--I joined others outside the pool as they awaited their swim starts.

When I though we were getting closer to the time the Beebs would cross the finish, I joined my dad just ahead of the finish line, where we unsuccessfully attempted to ward off the rain by holding umbrellas sideways against the wind. Shannon had a great race, particularly considering she had alreqady been diagnosed with step and has since been diagnosed with pneumonia! As her doctor said after chastising her for racing, "You healthy people are sometimes so unhealthy!"

T-girl Jennifer S joined me for some cheering--encouraging runners to sprint in the finish and smile big for the cameras--and running out to pick up Cathy and Kay--keep it moving, girls! I was so impressed with all of the Baby Pinks and their performance. What a reward for all the hard work they've put in over the past couple of months. I don't know that I would have finished in those horrific weather conditions... but Karen insisted, contrary to my wishes, that she would still rather do a sprint in hurricane conditions than a half iron in perfect weather. Liar pants.

I look forward to helping out again on July 1 for I Love the Tavern!

No comments: