Friday, April 27, 2007

Workouts, Burger King Style

Not eating fast food, and not necessarily working out fast, but doing the workouts my way.

From the very inception of TRIgirl (and as with Kim's TriMoms before that,) Grandison has practiced and preached fitting training into our often already busy lives. As a women and a mother (okay, as a human being,) she understands that we all have different family- and work-related issues that we have to work our training around. TRIgirl schedules are very sensitive and accomodating to that reality.

I've always taken that part of the schedule seriously, although I do like to point out to Blake or Ed or whomever that "it's MY workout!" particularly if a coach is suggesting that I do something difficult. Mostly it's just rhetoric--I complain while smiling, and while actually doing the workout.

The past couple of weeks I've found myself really having to change my training schedule for health reasons. I've been under doctor's orders not to swim for almost a month now, and I've gone back and forth between relief at having a valid excuse to frustration at not being able to participate in a third of my tri training. The past couple of weeks I've also skipped a number of strength training sessions in favor of an extra two hours of sleep. I'm trying to listen to my body so I can make a faster recovery from what seems to be a never-ending ear infection.

I just read a couple of other TRIgirl blogs in which the girls referred to skipped workouts and, guiltily, felt a little better that I wasn't alone. So, less guilty about missing my own workout, but more guilty about being glad someone else did, too. Hmmm.

Sometimes the workout customizations can be funny, intentional or not.

Jonah saw me running Thursday morning in the Near West End, and again that afternoon at West Creek. I had to explain that I had switched Tuesday and Thursday's schedules and divided the resulting run in two...

...and I didn't notice until Melissa pointed it out, but overachiever Cyndi is going to run for twelve hours on Saturday while the rest of us complete twelve miles.

She'd like fries with that.

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

C -

I just wanted to let you know that it's almost 10pm and I'm leaving my house to go start my 12 hour run. When I see you at WC tomorrow it may look like I just pulled in the parking lot but really, I'll be on my last 2 hours. HAHA! I love the the idea of a Burger King workout!!! This concept may replace "chi" for me!

Melissa said...

we all can't be overacheivers - so we'll let cyndi go with that one. haha. i love the metaphor (you english teacher!)