Friday, March 23, 2007

Shamrock 8K Race Report

My first 8K ever. When I mentioned this to some people who don't train with me, I got a lot of encouraging comments about pacing myself, working up to that distance, etc. Funny since my races have all been much longer than that recently. However, there are so many little lessons in returning to a short distance and enjoying the first race of the season...
1. the value of a PR--it has been a long time since I'd PRed in any event, so trying something new can give one a little shot in the arm
2. the value of a race--I hadn't raced since November, so it was kind of exciting to be back in the circuit (especially coming from one who is often teased about the number of races I enter each season)
3. the value of speedwork--thanks to the great coaching from Maramarc and TRIgirl, this is the first time I have ever worked on speed. While I was hoping to be a bit faster than I was, I still ran a faster pace than in any other race I've done.
4. the value of a TRIgirl weekend--Monica graciously opened her beach house to nine TRIgirls, and eleven of us ran in the 8K. Post race, I enjoyed a very relaxing day of eating and expo-shooping with TRIgirls Monica, Kathleen, and Teresa, who was also celebrating her birthday.
One difficult thing about running this time of year is the wild fluctuations in temperature. Today, for example, it is eighty degrees. Race day it was thirty-five and very windy. We even got snow flurries as we drove around post race. Another benefit of shacking up with a bunch of TRIgirls--sharing clothes! Kate O generously lent me a vest, I wore some mismatched gloves that I found in my car, and I'm not sure any of the other runners left the house without a little piece of Teresa's running wardrobe.
Traditionally, I don't wear a watch when I run, so having no idea when I started, here were the clock times I saw running along...
Mile 1--9:01
Mile 2--18:00
Mile 3--26:58
Mile 4--36:02
Finish--44:29
I'll give myself a bonus point for consistent pacing! Ran a touch faster at the beginnning and the end, meriting a chip time of 44:14.
What a great way to end my Spring Break!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Wow - great run! And it's nice to have you back. I was getting worried about you.