Friday, March 23, 2007

Input, Output, and Honesty

While I haven't posted in a while, I have managed to read other TRIgirls blogs here and there, and I've been thinking baout Renee's honesty, Deanna's nutrition, and Cyndi's battle with the party demons, and how there is so much overlap in what we all experience in and out of training.

I train a lot.
I eat more.

More calories in that calories out equals weight gain. I know this. I've been a member of Weight Watchers for about five years. I achieved Lifetime status a couple of years ago when I hit my goal weight, which I'm currently over by about fifteen pounds. The thing is nutrition and "dieting" is like training and a whole lot of other things in life.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. The Seven Ps.

I need to follow my workout schedule. I need to watch my intake, counting Points or whatever. I need to prepare to make these things easier for me--packing my swim stuff or running shoes (in my super-cute new TRIgirl duffel) to have for when opportunity strikes--the same way I always had a toothbrush and a change of clothes with me when I went out in my college years (and, okay, since then, too!) Bringing a sandwich and a piece of fruit with me to work, so I have something to munch on in lieu of the ten desserts a purveyor brought for us to sample.

That way, when an occasion arises when I really don't have the energy for a workout or there's a schedule conflict with an event I really want to attend or life presents me with the perfect dessert (or bag of kettle chips, as the case may be,) I can skip a workout or veer off my nutrition plan without regret.

It makes me cringe to hear people, and usually they are women, say, "I was bad," followed by a description of something they ate. As my WW leader points out, nobody ever got fat by eating a piece of cheesecake. The same goes for training. When being ribbed about missing a cycling class a couple of weeks ago, I replied, "You're right. I probably can't finish Eagleman now."

Point being that these "bad" moments are exceptions. If I ate a steady diet of cookies, hadn't biked in two months, and smoked a pack a day, it would be a different story. If I felt the need to report that "I was good" because I ate a serving of vegetables, I'd start worrying. So, as long as I can remember the last creme brulee, skipped workout, and Camel Special Light in my life, and as long as I can say with certainty that it was the exception, I will be honest about its place in my life. My goal is to relish the small indulgences because they are, indeed, indulgences.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carm,
Yes indeed. The balancing act of life and training is truly a work of art.... a little here and a little there and a lot of training. Love G

Anonymous said...

All except a little Camel Light, that is. Had to say it.
G

Anonymous said...

Always a pleasure to read your blog, my friend

sq

TriGirl 40 said...

Been missing your words of wisdom - as this post proves. Thank you for helping me remember we are all human - and a workout missed here or there - or indulgence (good lord, I love those) is just a small bump in the overall road to the big goal.

Cyndi said...

Excellent viewpoint, my dear Carmen! This is exactly why we missed your postings! Life is delicious and should be appreciated Now I'm off to have a glass of indulgent wine. :D

Cyndi

Anonymous said...

carc a lebo
so glad to have visited your blog this evening from the beelers' wireless connection. i've hardly had time for my own, so please forgive me! it's not for lack of thinking about you.

i'm liking the words of wisdom - and well-written...your compliment of my "WAY TO GO MUSTANGS!!!!!" post meant a lot.

much love to you, sis.

d