Monday, February 12, 2007

It's My Workout

...and my blog and my life. Thank goodness I have so many coaches, friends, and supporters to help me with all of these.
Several of you have let me know it's time for a new post.

I have been keeping up for the most part with my prescribed workout schedule for Eagleman training. After battling (another) cold all week, however, I decided it was okay to sleep through the run repeats Saturday and just show up for cycling. I had felt okay on the bike Thursday, but had had a really hard time on that morning's run with temperatures in the low 20s. I tried to make up my speed workout on Sunday and went with Lauren to the vita course. I ran a mile in about 7:36 and immediately decided against doing the four half-mile repeats that were to follow. Started jogging aroung the course, then slowed to a walk. Then a slower walk. Had the whole internal debate over whether I would feel better if I went ahead and threw up or whether it was worth staving off, and if so, what might be the best method of doing so, or was I even in control, after all? Some spitting, some long swallows, deep breaths. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Swimming with Som was okay--I think the cold temperatures were really adversely affecting my already stuffed up head, but the pool wasn't as bad. I sat out a couple of fifties in the middle of our main set, but other than that, I completed my workout, and actually felt pretty good about some of it.

We were focusing on stroke count, and I usually average 15-16 strokes per 25 on a good day. When we did 4x25 with a decreasing stroke count, I made the mistake of hitting 13 on the first one. I did manage to hit 12, 11, and 10 on the subsequent lengths, but you've never seen so much kicking and gliding!

I have been very proud of my progress on the bike during our cycling classes at Maramarc, and I can't wait to get back outside and see the results. Although I joke that it's my workout and others, including the coaches, should mind their own workouts, I really do push myself to what I perceive their expectations to be. And measure my efforts in the amount of sweat on my top and on the floor below my bike. If the sweat is an accurate measure, my workouts have been tough ones.

So, although I was sorry that Ed's Shenanigans was cancelled this morning due to Ed's Vegas Vacation, I enjoyed every extra minute that I slept in... all 195 of them.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear I missed a (almost) chunder by C-Leah. Hope you are on the mend...the residents of Henry Place are rootin for ya.

TriGirl 40 said...

Wow - a stroke count of 10 is amazing! Great work. I'm looking forward to seeing how the bike training pays off when we hit the open road, too.

Jonah Holland said...

yay! you're back!
you'll be feeling your old self in no time....

Anonymous said...

Nice mile time, too - great job, Carm

XO,

SQ

Anonymous said...

You forgot the true measure of you workout intensity- belly buttons.