Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Swimming!

I swam two miles today.
Farthest swim distance ever.

I joined the JCC today, bringing my workout bag into the membership office with me. That's how much I was looking forward to this swim.
In the interest of full disclosure, my family belonged to the JCC when I was small, and I actually swam on their team for two summers back when they had only one pool. My mom taught water aerobics there, as well. They let anyone join the team. I never got out of the "novice" category in anything but backstroke, and I was used to bringing up the rear in any heat.
So, the facility looks really different...

I loved my swim! As many "issues" as I have with the swim portion of the tri, they all surface in race situations, or occasionally when I'm swimming in a crowded lane and start thinking about race situations. Swimming in the Smith Mountain Lake Sprint Tri last Saturday was my first swim in over a month, so I'm sure that added to my unease.

But today, I spent around seventy minutes swimming up and back and up and back, just thinking some and counting a lot. It was totally relaxing.

I was so pleased with my swim today, I'm on that high that comes after a first race mixed with the commitment of New Year's Day.
Or, you know, when you join a new gym.

5 comments:

Cyndi said...

Carm-N,

That's awesome!! I have yet to do my 2 miler. I hope mine goes as well as yours!!

Cyn-D

Anonymous said...

Approx seventy min. Awesome. So happy you had this accomplishment.

Melissa said...

go you!!! i am so proud of you! I like to brag about my the badassness of my fellow pinkies and i think this deserves some bragging rights!

Jonah Holland said...

Great Job! 2 miles swim...oops I guess i need to find someone to take me to the pool as a guest! Either that or see if they'll let me put on my wetsuit and swim outside in my neighborhood pool...

TriGirl 40 said...

You are an amazing swimmer. Congrats on hitting the new distance.